Tuesday, March 4, 2014

DIY Oatmeal Face Scrub

So my family and I have decided to start making our own soaps and lotions and detergents!

So far we have been extremely successful.  We have been using the DIY craft section at our local library, and Google to look up, research,compare some amazing recipes, and create our own personal recipes.

My favorite so far is our made to order oatmeal face scrub. All natural, gentle on the skin without over drying.  I have always had acne. I am over 30 and still break out like a 16 year old.  The clearest my skin has ever been?  Since I have stopped using the store bought acne treatments.

I wash my face in the morning with soap, plain ol' not too harsh soap. Then I dampen a paper towel or wash cloth with fresh lemon juice.  I wipe it on my face. And I leave for the day. No more make up.  I come home and do it again before bed.  I actually let people take my picture WITHOUT MAKEUP. It is a whole new world.

When I am feeling too oily, I make up a face mask.

Ingredients:
4-6 tsp Oatmeal
1 tsps Fresh Lemon Juice
2 tsps Honey

Yep true story. That is all there is.
Honey is a humectant and helps to hydrate the skin.
The honey and lemon both have antiseptic qualities, killing bacteria and making the environment too acidic for normal growth.  This mix helps to lift scarring, even skin tone, dry out and prevent acne. Pretty amazing.

Grind your oatmeal in a mortar in pestle or coffee bean grinder.
Squeeze about 2 tsps of lemon juice into a small souflee or sauce cup.
Add 2 tsps of honey.
Add 4 tsps of oatmeal.

Mix your ingredients into a  runny paste.  Think watered down Elmers school glue for consistency. If your mask is too thick add more honey and lemon, too thin, add more oatmeal.

Apply to your face carefully. You may want to put a towel over your shirt to prevent sticky droplets.  Leave it on for about 15 minutes and gently scrub off using tiny circles.










No comments:

Post a Comment